Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Garden Update



Things are happily growing in the garden. Well, most things are happily growing in the garden... there has been a disappointing lack of weeds. Each morning, I arise and sally forth to pluck offending vegetation from mortality (rather, I pass the garden every morning on my way out). Sadly, there is rarely anything to smite. However, my desire for destruction has some outlet: I have begun harvesting.

This is the first time I've attempted to grow lettuce, and it is coming along well. This picture should be of bigger heads of lettuce, except I've been eating it:



This is also the first time I've tried to grow swiss chard (heck, the first time I heard about chard was at the seed store). This picture should also be of bigger bunches of chard, except--you guessed it--I've been eating it:



Most everything else is in the flower state, or is still too green to eat. We did have some small, red strawberries a while back, but the birds ate them. Those pesky fowl like to hop laps around the garden, and the ripe strawberries were on the outside. However, there is hope.



I have noticed that the plants tend to grow in spurts. There was one particularly sad lettuce plant barely poking out of the ground next to a larger lettuce planted on the same day. I pointed it out to Staci, and the next day that little bugger had grown three fold! It was still under an inch in height, but that's still quite a growth spurt.

The most astounding growth spurt I've came from my pea plants. At the morning weed inspection the peas were flowering. That evening I went to the garden to get some lettuce for a sandwich, and found this:



Several pea pods had grown that day! The effort those plants exerted in the production of their pods must have been tremendous. I almost feel bad; all that effort so I can have a snack.

2 comments:

Britain said...

Congratulations on such a fine looking garden. Darn those birds.

Tara said...

What a beautiful garden! Way to go. You'll have to give me some pointers, I don't have a green thumb.